jeudi 20 septembre 2007

favorite past time

funny how Parisians love to go "apero's" (drinks) after work. They do this social thing to meet up with friends but always stay within their own group (heavens forbid we talk to someone else!!). It’s kind of a "see & be seen" type of thing.

I’ve found it funny as a foreigner as I tend talk more easily to the people around. I’ve had frenchies say to me, “with you I always end up meeting someone new”. Is it the fact I’m a foreigner, or the fact that I give out more open vibes, smile, or my accent (which seems to be a good pick-up tool- but that’s another story) or just that I take the chance to actually talk to someone after making eye contact. A normal thing is to do is to look at a person but not acknowledge that you’ve ‘seen’ them. You look then look-through or away. A very French thing. I’ve noticed I’ve started to do it… I am fighting against it. Anyway, off to an “apero”…

1 commentaire:

natalie@theliquidmuse.com a dit…

Yes, I know what you mean! I've had French girls look me up and down, and not smile. It makes them seem insecure - so I decide not to take it personally.

Isn't it better to smile at someone? They could make a new friend!

Well, cheers, and enjoy your appero!
xo The Liquid Muse